March Madness

March Madness

2014










     First of all, it is hard to believe that it is already March ... again.  The days ARE getting longer.  The weather, albeit a mild winter, with the moisture, the bulbs are coming up and the pastures are greening. We are lambing late on purpose, but the cows are calving nicely.  We've logged some wonderful hikes, cross country ski and snow shoe adventures to clear the minds and exercise the dogs.



     Dogging has been good.  Mostly taking advantage of quality time at home.  Working on getting acquainted with my new partner Feist.  Eternally working on my whistle.  Tone.  Volume. Timing.  
     I have focused heavily on my handling skills.  I have homework to practice... at home from my friends who are much better at this than I am.  I aspire to be a handler.  I do not aspire to be trainer of others...ever.  But I seek to understand the art and the mastery of this incredible magical sport.   Now it is time to find some of my own rhythm and rhyme. 
    The kind of dog that I like is a dog that teams up.  Has biddability.  Has a nice feel for the sheep.  Presence is there, but doesn't have to be announced from the next atmosphere. 



     Had a wonderful chance to spend time practicing with my good friends in Idaho.  I have been so tethered to work and home, I have had very little opportunity to see them.  These are the core peeps who inspired and encouraged me into this terribly in depth addictive lifestyle. 




     My day job is all about animals.  Every single minute that is not with my family and not at work, is spent with my dogs.  When the humans get 'dicey', I joke with my local friend and trainer "don't you just love dogs?"  The answer is always, yes!!!






     Amongst everything else, we are still working through finding the consistency of the stock needed to have consistent dogs.  The Mecca is not being built, it is already here.  The Mecca is being discovered. 


     Now for March Madness.  Sonoma.  Zamora. Rio Vista.  If I am lucky to make the cut.  I will be sending my teammate an insane distance to bring rank sheep to me to try to handle appropriately.  As an open handler.  Standing alongside the people I look up to.  It does seem a little mad when I think about it.  So lets not think about it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017 at a glance

Hindsight is 2020

Live and learn