Chapter Two




 
 




     No new years resolution so far.  Just keep on keeping on.  I did, however, turn over a new leaf.  I am still way understaffed on the professional side, so I am limited in my training time.  When I get time, it is quality based.

     I have enjoyed the journey with my young dogs immensely.  Each one teaching me a lesson and helping me to become a better partner.  Each dog having great strengths and certain weaknesses.  Each dog totally cool unto who they are.  With this realization, along with me spending time walking in circles, I realized that it is time for a new training chapter.  I wasn't truly seeking out a new art form.  But I remember from a novice/novice clinic a few years ago hearing  ' the trick is knowing when the window is open and when the window is closed'.  A great opportunity fell upon my front porch, and it was a no brainer to open that door and start a new chapter in the journey.

     I have learned to strengthen confidence and identify pressure sensitivity issues.  I have watched the natural outrunners,  the power drivers, the slicers, the grippers, the too soft for  words,  so sensitive that my body position affects at 80 yards, passive-aggressive mannerisms, natural/trained traits, honest/dishonest dogs and so much more.  In my dogs and in others.  My previous homework was to reflect on what I could accept and what I could not accept.  Thank the Lord the dogs don't get a vote on that with my strengths and weaknesses.  I am sure my list is long as well.  

    To grow oftentimes we must step out of our comfort zone.  To bring in a trained dog, I must come to a realization that maybe my commitment to a life-long relationship with some of my learning young dogs was selfish and ego in nature.  Yes, it was a dream that I would acquire a six month old pup who was well bred and reach open level with her as a beginning novice handler.  Dream.  I would go to every clinic I could.  I would pay excellent open handlers to train her month by month.  I would not have a day job..... but since we are dreaming.... rather I would live on a sheep farm and work/train on new fresh sheep every day of the week. 

In the VERY beginning
Lily at Shannahan/Deal
N/N clinic

Photos by
Carolynn Bernard-Harwell


     So as I have evolved over time, so have my expectations.  I refuse to become the dreaded "Soccer Mom".  I saw this ugliness throughout my previous existence in my long history tied to competitive sports.  Parents who lived vicariously through their children.  Their dreams for their children so based on what they wished they could have done themselves.  The false hopes, dreams, and expectations placed on innocent kids.  I love my dogs.  Their unconditional love and happiness.  I have to drop my ego and evaluate what their journey might be.  What is the best for the dog.  Not what will make my ego feel good.  As a kid, my parents could care less if I played sports or not.  They enjoyed watching, but ultimately I had no doubt that they loved me regardless.  I heard routinely ,"do what you love to do.  If you want to be an angle-worm farmer, that is fine with us.  Be the best angle-worm farmer there is!"  So with all of this in mind, a few of my dogs have applied for new jobs.  Jobs that they will be highly skilled and successful in.  




     So I think that chapter two will be based on that it is indeed time for me to grow again.  Hopefully not from all the good food I have been eating, but hopefully as a stock handler.  I have a new partner.  Feist.  Named after the smart sexy rock star from Canada.  Now I am learning the fine art.  Trying to paint in finer strokes.  Trying to read the stock.  All types.  Trying to learn the shed and the pen.  Trying to be detail oriented, while being able to breath at the same time.  My gluteals are not clenched the entire time I work with her on or off the trial field.  Now once again, on my journey.... I am the weak link.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017 at a glance

Hindsight is 2020

Live and learn