"...not a destination, but rather a WAY of TRAVELING."




     I haven't had a chance to blog in a millinium it seems.  In March my madness was the Zamora, Sonoma, and Rio Vista triple-crown.  And although this year American Pharoah can claim our first triple-crown win in 37 years, I'm here to tell you that the California SDT triple-crown could be equally as challenging.


     Zamora Hills SDT hosted by the Slaven/Wines Family is my sentimental favorite trial of all time. It was here that I tasted my first sip of the magic of Open Field trialing.  I have been drinking deeply from the wellspring ever since.  Big. Huge fields. Tough sheep. Great people.  Fair judge.  I was proud of both my open dog and my nursery dog.  Feist came away with a few points on her second run.  As a handler I was excited for the chance. Not paralyzed in fear and intimidation. As a sheepdog team we were shooting for consistency and experience.  My open dog only 3 years old and Tane' my nursery dog only two.  This is only my second year as an open handler.















 










       I did take the week off work between Zamora and Sonoma.  Amanda flew into The City and after Zamora she came over to Nevada for a bit.  We had a fabulous time as anyone could certainly imagine with good food, libations, laughs and sheepdog practicing.

     Before I could blink, we were headed back to California.  Sandy and Arthur Milberg, always the class act, host the Sonoma Wine Country SDT.  Two tricky fields running simultaneously with beautiful sheep. Gorgeous setting with a new set of challenges.  Each of my dogs earned a set of letters and a set of numbers.  Tane' coming home with the prize money this time. Very happy with the experience.  I had some good, albeit direct, input for some trusted hands at the appropriate time.  I have slowed both my dogs down. I need to work on freeing them back up and setting a good pace.



 























     Of course at Sonoma, we also partook of the famous Bouchon bakery in Napa, some fine dining, wine tasting  and shopping in both SF and Sonoma. Lots of miles and tons of laughs. It was tough to drag myself back over the Sierras and jump feet first back to work.  Needless to say the dogs got the week off.  Then Friday after work was wrapped up tight, I almost begrudgingly loaded the Honda and took off toward the Sacramento delta region.



















      At Rio Vista, I was lucky enough to have two midday draws.  After exactly one year prior, missing the handlers meeting and thus breaking the course to be awarded a DQ - I promised my team to never miss an a.m. handlers meeting until I had my ducks in a better line.  This year, I think I should have strategized a bit better.  I should have come to the meeting and then left or shaded up a bit better.  What little reserves Feist and I had left I managed to cook on the scorching hills overlooking the river in the shadows of the giant wind mills.  Don't misread this. It was a great trial on big sweeping green hills, satisfactory sheep, good judging and fabulous lamb marinaded bbq.  However my two favorite parts were sipping a beer post trial with fellow hands along a magnificent river and chumming up with Elizabeth Baker's Dad whose Nevada historic roots were planted closely to my familial heart.

     I must confess, I said I would NEVER do that again. Too much. Too hard on both handler and dogs. My goal is to grow and achieve a beautiful art form. And to have FUN.  I still don't want to do 3 huge trials 3 weekends in a row, we will see if I have a short memory next year. American Pharoah we are not.



Since then, a few small trials here and there. A new addition to the sheepdog crew in the form of a pupster named Jag.  Pouring myself heart and soul into work. Catching up with family and home life the best I can.  And ....oh ya...I put on my first open field trial.  That's as a blog in itself.  Finale' would be several days ago I just got home from running in the Joni and Blake Tietjen's Slash J SDT in WY.  I did set out for 3 days for their District 2 double lift championship.  Holy! Trial miles we sure are logging.  Learning and loving it. 


Comments

  1. Glad to read you again, friend. Sounds like your dream of a Mecca has come abundantly to fruition. Well done!! Keep to blogging......it's good for my soul! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reflect on the "Mecca" analogy quite often. When I started out, there were very little resources for this journey. I looked at what I didn't have. Being surrounded by positive mentors/open hands opened my eyes, all the components were here all along. Just in a different form. The right set of glasses and viola a Mecca.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hindsight is 2020

Live and learn

2017 at a glance