The Journey Continues



On the road


Palm Cottage



      So the journey continued.  We had no real expectations but to try
to learn from our mistakes and to gain experience by just keeping at it.  Miles.

    We trekked to Palm Cottage SDT.  Laura Vishoot and Steve's gorgeous slice of paradise.  Big field with tricky central gate on outrun.  Great sheep. Fun time with wonderful friends.

    I don't remember particular scores.  But our first run landed modest numbers.  Our second run was a scorcher, however in my excitement I mishandled at the last moment and we ended up with letters.  We learned.  It was a blast.


Lacamas Valley SDT








    I have admired the Lacamas Valley SDT put on by Lynn and Allison Johnston, on their family dairy with the help of a small army of volunteers, for several years.  Last year I participated with several PN dogs.  I had a hankering to jump out on the open field.  My first time seeing the field was about 3 years prior.  I flew up and my friends Leslie and Dennis picked me up from the airport and I camped with them at the trial.  The Johnston's set a fabulous tidy professionally done sheepdog trial.

    It was spectacular to be a participant this year.  I was nervous.  Having Ray Crabtree announcing Mary and Feist, with our first sponsor ever, Ian Bojarski made the reality settle on us like a heavy fog.  Patrick, Ray, and Lynn wished me luck as they noted I was quite pale.  My little pocket rocket canine partner, however was not nervous at all.  It was on her, again, I leaned.








     The first run went well.  I froze when it came to the at hand work.  Feist could only do so much, I needed to help her.  It is a team sport I was reminded.  Second run we did much better, just out of the points and just missing the DL final.  Timed out at the pen. Both runs respectable.  Numbers.











Big outruns


     Then we practiced.  In case we got the call to arms.  Our points were not very high, and mostly earned by Feist herself with a few as a team together.  In the past I thought we did not have all the components to be able to compete at the open level.  That in Northern Nevada we would have to create a Mecca or find one to go to in order to practice.  Wrong again.  I just needed to open my eyes and see what was before us.  And we are close to some really great people who are total class acts in this sport. I am indeed lucky.  And right in my back yard, literally, I have all the parts I need.  The sheep part is also becoming more clear.  Hopefully no more walking in circles. Figuratively.  Literally. 




We practiced communication
at hand work.



  




Look - spotting sheep at 750 yards



Tane' 
Started nursery trials
(Val x Monty)


Homework





Our neighbors

.....and then we got the call....
we made it into
the National Finals




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hindsight is 2020

Live and learn

2017 at a glance