Good Communication






First comes trust,

    Photo by Kelsey Nichols

then comes loyalty. 


     Dogs are smart.  They all lead different journeys before they arrive.  The only time things are created equal is when they are in the litter, and even then there are inequities.  The little runt sometimes becomes the pick of the litter because he had to be tough to make it.  Multiple owners.  Genetics.  Environment.  Human quirkiness transference issues.  

     I like these words "first comes trust and then comes loyalty".  It is just part of some random fb post that I borrowed a part of.  It is very true on all accounts.  If there is NO trust, then there is NO loyalty.  And for my dogs, bless their hearts, they all come from different back grounds, experiences, exposures, and genetic predispositions.  

     My mentors lament that you should find the style of dog that best fits your style as a handler.  All my dogs are very different.  A friend of mine sneered at me "well now you have one of every kind".  I am pleased with my dogs.  I like them very much. I like their diversity. Now that I am listening more, and talking a whole lot less... I have heard numerous people (open handlers) tell me that there are a lot of good dogs out there.  Kind of insinuating that my dogs were not "good dogs" or maybe that there are dogs with less baggage and a nice genetic pre-ordained package.  I am sure they are right.  I like my dogs.  I still have a lot to learn from them if I pay attention.

     I am totally at different places with all 3 of the working dogs.  At times the window of opportunity is open, and sometimes it is not.  Knowing when to feed knowledge and when to remind and refresh is an art. 

     Trust is a two way street.  Having an honest dog is a fabulous thing.  I think I know how much I can trust each one of my dogs.  Sometimes I extend it further and test the boundaries and allow learning situations.  When it heads south, I don't always know the right response.  Tic totally blew me off and gave me the finger last trial on some stuff that I know he can do.  I failed to turn it into a learning opportunity because I was too shy to march out on the field in front of people I knew and respected.  My first loyalty needs to be the consistency of our training understandings.  He needs to trust that if he does A(anywhere) then B(from me) will ALWAYS happen.  It is communication and consistency. 

     I have been told that I am too soft.  I am.  This weekend I am going to work on clearer communication with my pack.  I am going to speak softly and carry a big stick(not literally).  More black and white.  Less shades of grey.   My lines are already pretty clear, I don't waiver much on what I expect.  What you see is what you get. Respect is earned.  That is not something that is whimsical.  

FIRST COMES TRUST,
THEN COMES 
LOYALTY!



Comments

  1. good post. I am still very new to herding and am struggling with similar things. Being consistent is hard when herding itself is grey...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a lot to be said about the 'art' of communication. As you learn there will be quite a few less shades of grey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2017 at a glance

Hindsight is 2020

Live and learn