National Finals 2012



Looking through 

the looking glass




     Packed and ready for the week, my friend Ann and I pulled into the site of the USBCHA National Sheepdog Finals a bit before sunset.  The stage was being set for the most amazing sheepdog event on the North American continent.  I had slated a week of vacation to go; as a spectator, as a volunteer, and as a sponsor.  Three years ago, I also attended in the peanut gallery, as a fan in awe.  Lily was sitting on my lap watching the impossible magic unfold.  This year, the event would be different.  I have managed to throw my dice up on the table as a Novice handler.

      The weeks leading up to the Finals were filled with anticipation, preparation, and packing.  I had an unexpected bonus with Amanda Milliken and Sandy Milberg stopping by on their westward sojourn from Meeker and Soldier Hollow.  My girl dog Val was courted by a dark sleek handy Canadian named Monty.  I believe we have little "Monterinas" on the way about mid November.  We worked dogs out in our Nevada big field.  We drank nice wine and enjoyed good Italian cuisine.

     I really had no idea how much these elite handlers put into their journey to the Finals.  I planned on being just a wall flower, watching and listening would be my goal.

     And I felt a tad nervous.  I was after all exhausting on the open field, the very first day.






      Exhausting on the open field.  My good friend tells me to just get out there and and do it!  'No big deal they will only be live streaming it to Scotland.'  Yes, the irony of being nervous at the exhaust when the tension of the moment with the competing teams was thick enough to cut with a butter knife.  A quick grin, and I knew it would be ok.  This was only a puddle jump on a journey that we haven't really even fully realized yet.

     Our volunteer work, was good.  We did not have any train wrecks.  No one remembers our name.  The dogs worked hard and long, and we didn't get to do as many shifts as I had hoped, dogs quite tired.  But all in all, I was very pleased.





The Field of Dreams






     I know absolutely nothing about planning or hosting an event of this magnitude, but I believe that Geri and her crew did an amazing job.  The projection for this event was meticulously planned when the planting and harvesting of these fields were done.  It appeared to me that nothing was "haphazard". They made it very difficult.  A stage that the very best would certainly have to bring their game if they wanted to complete the dance.  It seemed merely impossible from my current vantage point in the sheep-dogging world.

     As a spectator, I tried to listen.  I moseyed from camp to camp, and just listened.  I heard different takes on the dog breeding and lines.  I heard vantage points, compliments, and criticisms to the whistle communication amongst different teams.  I watched handlers with their style, timing, communication, strategy, and stock handling.  I watched the sheep, the white faced, the smudge faced, and the black faced.

    While spectating,  I invariably landed myself in a situation.  I was "asked" to walk the field for several professional handlers.  I thought this must be in jest!  No! they were serious.  I must swallow my tatters of pride and parade, first in the nursery field and later on the open field, as if I was the sheep-dog tandem and illustrate the perfect lines.  Actually, this may have been one of my best learning experiences of the Finals.

     I had no idea that so much was observed and analyzed on the field itself.  I extended my arms at each panel set, so the handlers could judge the degree of angles.  I pointed out the gopher piles, if the line was high or low to them.  The green areas.  The brown areas.  Any deviation in the field that might be used as a judgement point.  After the walk of shame, I listened.  The subtle observations that the Big Guns were noting about the field.  Projections about the way the wind might pick up in the afternoon, how the alfalfa might dry and become "crunchy", this would affect how the dogs could hear at a far distance. The swells and the hollows in the field, which would affect how the sound of the whistle might travel.  I felt like I was sliding back to college day lectures on the dynamics of sound waves in Physics 401.

     We truly loved camping at the site of the Finals.  That again,
was an experience in itself.  Having the dogs there.  Getting up early to walk them or go for a nice bike ride with them.  Kind of having to wrap your mind around the time and distance these elite handlers have to log in order to land at this level.  Ann and Morgen did acquire rooms in town, for the much needed full showers after 3 days!!!



     Our other contribution to the finals was our sponsorships.  It really wasn't much on a financial scale, but I think it is important in many ways.  I sponsored Dianne Deal and Zorro, as well as co-sponsored Don Helsley and Cody.  Dianne is one of the main reasons that I am in this sport.  She is my primary trainer and mentor.  This is only a small gesture, a tip of the hat, pardon the pun in acknowledging her timeless dedication.  Don is the breeder that sold me Val.  Cody is Val's littermate.  Don is also a great handler and we travel to Idaho to participate in sheepcamp with Helsley and Patrick Shannahan each year.  At the Calcutta, the night prior to the finals, I also co-sponsored Amanda and Roz.  


           Sunday double-lift National Finals

     It had been a long week.  Many people had packed it up and started their trek back home.  I wanted to watch certain dogs/handlers run, but they were peppered throughout the day.  I couldn't make up my mind when I would leave.  I very much wanted to see this event to its close.  Hot and dusty, and pretty dirty... I decided to stay.  Low on cell coverage and batteries, I was texting my friends the runs and their scores.  It was a tough course, it didn't get any easier.  Only one person made it through the course to get the pen.  Jack Knox, a veteran of the sport!!!  I love that!!  He didn't accumulate the most points, so he did come in second.  I missed the winning run, but I hear that she is a good handler and her dog did not cross over on the second outrun.  I love that Brian, surfer dude, White made it, and had a chance to stand at the post at the big dance.  Don and Wizard displayed a ton of talent.  Amanda and Roz did very nicely. Suzy and Buzz had a nice run.  I liked watching Sonia Craig at the shed.  She didn't get it but her timing and strategy I thought was intellectual and precise.



                           
......and so the story ends.  Or so the story begins.....





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017 at a glance

Hindsight is 2020

Live and learn