Most Excellent


Words that are Impeccable

Tend to Ring True





Don Miguel Ruiz
Be impeccable with your word

     At the previous official training event we had a discussion prior to going out and working our dogs. I have high regard for this elite trainer both on and off the field.  For a moment it was nearly as if an unofficial sermon was being delivered.  Not that it was either 'preachy' or condescending. The talk was also not judgmental or biased.  It was very nearly sermon-like in that even though he was speaking to a room full of diverse individuals from many different areas, all with sheepdogging tendencies, it felt as though he was speaking directly to me.

     The story he told was about a clinic he put on some time ago.  Very nice handlers and very nice dogs.  The first day went really well.  Dogs seem to be coming along and the handlers appeared to be learning quite a bit.  Absorbing the knowledge put forth quite well.  At the end of the first day, everyone was invigorated and happy.  So much so that the lot of them went to a pond with all their dogs and had a grand old time.  There was swimming.  Playing and splashing!!!  Balls.  Frisbies. Flying squirrels.  What a fun time.  Day two:  The learning curve was not quite so good.  Apparently semi-frustrated a novice handler with potential approached the clinician.  'Why is my dog struggling so today, when yesterday went so well?" she inquired.  He answered to her that maybe it was the grand party that they had at the end yesterday.  She laughed, shrugged, and walked off.  At the very end of day two.... she came back to him and acknowledged that he really wasn't joking about the "party thing".  The guru clinician imparted wisdom to her in concluding that it all depends on what her goals are.  If her goals are to be social and have fun, spending weekends and travel time with friends and her dogs to have the big party, she was on the right path.  If the student actually wanted to proceed with her training then at the end of day one, she would have to excuse herself and her dog and call it a night.  Her dog would thus be prepared for day two.  This of course might put her in an uncomfortable situation.  She might be called a snob, or too good for the pack.  But the growing pains would be a prescribed portion of the learning curve.

     I've always been a little free with my dogs.  Lily is happily spoiled beyond repair.  My goal in the beginning was to learn 'what the heck makes this dog tick'?!?!?  Next it was to have a reprieve from my work and family life.  I wanted to escape with my dogs and have fun somewhere other than home.  I loved the time I spent with my dogs and friends, thus coming home invigorated and rejuvenated.  I felt ready to handle and deal with whatever curve ball life might throw at me.  I have not been a part of sheep-dogging very long, but I think that I do want to learn more and hone my skills as a handler.  This is an intriguing and wonderful sport.  Becoming an adequate team with my dogs, is my goal.  We are not a 'Mecca' out here in the high desert mountains, but I am so proud of the work that the locals have done showing commitment and vision to the sport.  Our area had open field trials but that was back in the 1980's, not really anything since then.

     Good words from a wise man.  Thank you sir!



     So for now, we are home with pups.  There is no after hours party.  We are just sticking close to the ranch.  Finding a really good balance.  





     We are participating in the new local club High Desert Sheep Dog Association fun days.





     In a really good space with dogs, work, family, friends and the holidays!!! 


     


Comments

  1. Interesting.....this most certainly makes me wonder......deeply in an ovethinking sort of way. And while you are at it....send me one of those puppies....k?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, as always. I am thinking about the same things, sort of. About choices and life style and how it fits into all this and who it makes me. Who would have thought circling sheep would take me to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it all makes us better human beings on this planet, if we can be open to it..... Awareness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2017 at a glance

Hindsight is 2020

Live and learn